Gum disease is also referred to as periodontal disease. Periodontists specialize in the treatment and surgery of this area. Plaque is the most common element causing gum disease. Unfortunately, periodontal-related problems are often discovered after they have persisted for an extended period of time. Proper oral hygiene, daily dental care and regular dental checkups will minimize the risk of gum disease. Gum disease ranges from mild to severe cases. Treatments are available for every case of gum disease, ranging from deep cleaning using anesthetic to surgery.
Common problems associated with gum disease include:
- “Long” teeth (receding gum lines expose the root portions of your teeth)
- Discolored or deteriorating tooth structure
- Gum depressions (holes in between the teeth in the gum tissue)
- Infected gum line (discoloration or inflammation of the gum tissue)
- Tooth loss or tooth movement
The effects of gum disease can be damaging to your general health. However, through proper preventive care and oral hygiene, you can avoid gum disease.
If you suffer from severe gum disease, Dr. Khani may refer you to a periodontist for treatment.